Asthma

Asthma

05/12/2010

Question:

Good day. My son has asthma. He can`t breathe very well. Sometimes he won`t eat any kind of food. What is the best food that needs to eat for his condition?

Answer:

There are no particular foods that are known to make asthma get BETTER.  IF your son has allergies to foods, then eating them could make his asthma get worse, however.  If you suspect he has food allergies, I would recommend first that you have allergy testing done - avoiding foods can be difficult, and before committing to food restriction it would be important to know that such restriction was really necessary.

If your son is having breathing problems from his asthma, there are a number of medications that could help him.  If you've already tried these, and he is still having problems, consultation with a specialist may be helpful to identify a more effective approach to his treatment.  

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth D Allen, MD Elizabeth D Allen, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics