Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Spontaneous Bursting of Veins

05/14/2010

Question:

I work with a 23 year old female who has been experiencing strange cardiac-like symptoms. She`s had several burst blood vessels in the last few weeks in uncommon places such as the wrist, the inner thigh adjacent to the knee, her arm just past her elbow on the end closest to her hand, and she has been complaining about a strange strangulating feeling in her throat. She is afraid she cannot afford to go to the doctor, but i would like to attain some information that might help me in compelling her to go. She also has remarked that at times when she has the strangulating feeling, she also has a hard time catching her breath. Do you have any thoughts on this matter?

Answer:

It is really not possible to give any accurate opinion as to what may be the cause of the symtoms without being able to examine and interview the patient. I can only encourage her to seek a physician if the symptoms continue, or if they are concerning to have her seen in an emergency department.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine