Pharmacy and Medications

Triglycerides and Prednisone

Last year my trigylceride level was 87. I was on 60mg of Prednnisone x8days. I did a fasting lipid profile 3 days later. Is it possible for my triglyceride level to at 633? If so, how long should i wait to get retested?

Triglycerides can be affected by use of glucocorticoid steroids like prednisone. The effect is temporary, though it is difficult to find a reference that gives an exact time frame for a return to baseline. The sources I reviewed only mentioned about a 50 to 100 mg/dL increase in triglycerides while on steroids. The reading of 633 mg/dL seems to be higher than the effect one would expect to see from steroid use. While the course of steroids you received was not long, I recommend waiting about a month before having your triglycerides checked again to get a more accurate reading.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Michael  Ganio, PharmD Michael Ganio, PharmD
Clinical Applications Pharmacist
Wexner Medical Center