Braces

Yellowing of the Teeth

05/20/2010

Question:

I got clear braces put on earlier this year and 3 days after the braces were put on, my teeth all became discolored. The discoloration did not occur on my teeth that had crowns. I have seen my orthodontist, periodontist and regular dentist and none of them can advise what happened. Can you tell me what caused this? (I did have an allergic reaction to the brackets so could this have something to do with it?) Is there something I can do to restore them while I am still in braces? (I have already tried whitening toothpastes to no avail)

Answer:

One thing is certain, it is not a permanent change in the color of your teeth. Light has funny ways of reflecting in the mouth and the combination of the clear braces, enamel, and dentin probably resulted in this strange discoloration. When your braces are removed it should come back to "normal".

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine