Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Laryngospasm

05/26/2010

Question:

Since I have been on Seroquel (600mg/day) I have started to experience a closing up of my throat. It seems to only happen when I`m waking up from sleep. It sounds very much like a laryngospasm, a condition described in another question and answer dated 9/11/2001. What I`d like to know is why does this closing of the vocal chords occur when patients are waking up from anaesthesia? Also is it common for the closing up of the vocal chords to happen when waking from a normal sleep or when being in a state of deep relaxation?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Vocal Cord Injury - Post Anesthesia
Sleep-related laryngospasm

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org