COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Prognosis for Acute Resp. Failure Acute COPD

05/26/2010

Question:

Hello Dr. Ezzie - Just want to check whether the stock response on life expectancy is appropriate/sufficient.  Of course, you may comment in addition/in place of the stock response.  Please let me know what you think.  Thanks, as always.  Brenda Clark, OSU NetWellness Program Manager

my wife is in hosp. acute resp. failure, severe copd and only 10 to 15 % of lung capicity.she is only 79 lbs and unable to gain

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. I am sorry to hear about your wife's condition. The prognosis for hospitalized patients with the severity of disease that you describe is not good. The main determinants for life expectancy for patients admitted with a COPD exacerbation include age, how well they get around prior to hospitalization, other diseases like heart disease, and the oxygen and carbon dioxide levels in the blood.

People with 10% lung function and who have low body weights have very severe disease. When severe COPD patients require mechanical ventilation for acute respiratory failure, they have a hospital mortality of at least 25%. For the patients that survive the hospital stay, about 50% will survive for one year.

Best wishes.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep