NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Monday, May 25, 2015
Dental Xrays - Quality Control
Quality control suggestions or ideas for the dental xrays and processing lab
There are quality control tests and quality administration procedures.
- The machines should be tested at least once a year per manufacturer's recommendations.
- The x-ray film should be tested using the fresh film test. Simply run a new film from the fresh box through the processor to make sure the film has been properly stored and protected.
- Extroral Screens and cassettes
should be checked periodically making sure there are no light leaks, warping or dirty screens.
- Darkroom lighting can be checked for light leaks by making sure no extraneous light is leaking in the room.
- Processing equipment should be monitored daily for potential problems.
- Automatic processing test films can be used daily to test films to check for proper functioning of automatic processors.
- Processing Solutions developer can be monitored with a reference radiograph, stepwedge or a device available for purchase called a normalizing device.
- Fixer is checked by performing a clearing test.
- Quality Administration procedures would include having a written plan assigning duties to employees and a monitoring and maintenance schedule, with record keeping logs and a plan for evaluating and revising as well as in-service training.
Constance R Kuntupis, RDH, MA
Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Radiology
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University