Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Front Tooth Fell Out

05/27/2010

Question:

My 2 front upper teeth needed to be extracted; the dentist said I could get partials. My bottom 4 front teeth are also in need to come out, but I can only afford upper partials now. The denture place can do extractions, and I went due to loosing one of the front upper teeth yesterday while in shower & wanted the extraction of the other upper front tooth and be fit for partials. Once I told them I have been taking Actonel 35mg for 3 mths, they refused to do the extraction, so I am now toothless and just started a job 4 months ago after a year of unemployment. I am almost 56. Should I not divulge that I am on Actonel and get the extraction & partials done anyway?

Answer:

You can not do that. You should always give the complete information of medications that you are taking. I will suggest to consult with and oral surgeon or periodontist to do your extractions. Some times they will just ask you to stop taking the medication couple weeks or months before the extraction is done. They need to analyze your complete medical history. Or look for a university or hospital that provide dental care close to your community, they will know what to do.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine