Women's Health

Why Is There Blood In My Pee?

05/27/2010

Question:

Yesterday I noticed a little bit of bright red blood after I peed. It happens when I wipe after every time I pee but there is no pain when I pee, so I thought it may not be a uti. I`m also not sure if the bleeding may be coming from somewhere around my vagina. There hasn`t been blood in my underwear though, I just notice it when I wipe.

Answer:

There are several possibilities for this. One is a urinary tract infection, another is some trauma to your vaginal area, and other might be hemorrhoids. I would suggest that you increase your fluids to at least five eight ounce glasses of water a day, avoid caffeine and get the source of the bleeding checked out. If it?s a urinary tract infection, ignoring it will only make it worse. All the best. I hope this helps.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Associate Professor, Nursing Graduate Studies