Eye and Vision Care

Eye Disorders

06/21/2010

Question:

I actually have two questions one of them I`ve done alot of searching and found a few possible causes for.

question 1: adult male 76 yrs. of age high blood pressure, diabetes that has one blood-shot eye with no pain, no vision issues some headache and the whole eye pupic looks black. My mom said he looks like it`s a blind person`s eye but bloodshot.

question 2: my 4 year old son has black spots in the whites of his eyes.

Answer:

Question 1: The blood shot eye without pain is most likely a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This occurs when a small blood vessel breaks and blood pools in a space just above the white part of the eye. It usually looks very bad, but usually is not a problem. I am wondering if the adult male is on a blood thinner of some sort (such as aspirin or warfarin)

Question 2: The black spots on the white portion of the eye are probably near the end of a red blood vessel, and if so, they are axenfeld loops. These are an accumulation of pigment surrounding a blood vessel, which dives deeper into the white part of the eye. They are completely normal and do not cause any problems.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry