Athletic Training

High Ankle Sprain Pain for 7 Months

05/31/2010

Question:

I got a high ankle sprain during a football game. I was taken to the physical therapist the next day. Had some x rays taken and he touch around the ankle and said i had a high ankle sprain. So i was told to use a boot on my left ankle for the next week till i went to go see him again. I didn`t follow his orders and didn`t use the boot cause i thought i would get better a day or two. since i was the starting running back i wanted to play again alreday so a i went to see him to weeks later and lied that i had any pain in order to play. the trainer taped my ankle but even taped the pain when i ran was pertty severe, the game i got back i landed on my ankle and couldn`t play the rest of the game. so for the playoff games i was still the starter and i took pain killers to let my play with minamal pain. i was taking for pill for practice and for the game. after the season i took sometime of and didnt` really use my ankle. but i still gad pain and when i played with my friends football the pain to run would get to severe and i would have to stop and sit. i got hurt in October and now its about to be june and i still been having pain sometimes severe and other times not. so i was wondering if i had hurt my ankle for life due to not following doctors orders or do i need surgery or see a physical therapist last week or so it has been hurting to walk and i get waves of pain just sitting? so i want some advice please and thank you.

Answer:

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your continued troubles with your ankle.  Injuries can linger and not heal if you continue to play and not provide the adequate healing time and precautions for activity. 

At this point, I would recommend a follow up with a sports medicine physician to evaluate your ankle and to make recommendations for treatment. You don't mention if you are planning on playing this year, but the sooner you seek treatment, hopefully the sooner you will be on the path to recovery for your ankle injury.  I would recommend following the recommendation for treatment in order to achieve the best possible result.  Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences