Eye and Vision Care

Blue Ring Around Brown Eye

06/11/2010

Question:

My son is 6 and i noticed that he has a blue ring around his brown eyes. Is this something that i should be concerned with, and What could it be?

Answer:

The question is where is the blue ring located in relation to the brown portion of the eye? If it is on the white part of the eye, it is probably the dark tint of the blood vessels that underlie the white part of the eye. If it is on the colored portion of the eye, just near the edge, it is probably an area with less pigment than the rest of the iris (colored part of the eye.)

It is difficult to speculate since the location was not listed. It definitely is not something that is a common concern, meaning that it is most likely normal. If, however, you feel as though it is problematic, or if it has just recently appeared, I would recommend an evaluation from an eye care practitioner.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry