COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Travel to Yellowstone and 8000 Feet

06/04/2010

Question:

My husband has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. He usually has the machine sit between three and four. We would like to go to Yellowstone but the attitude where we would stay is 8000 feet. I am wondering if this would be wise for us to make such a trip. We would be traveling the first week of September

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. When a patient on oxygen travels to higher altitudes, they will often require higher flow rates of oxygen. Your husband should visit his pulmonologist or primary physician to help determine what level of oxygen he should be on for the trip, and whether the trip will be safe for him. Traveling with oxygen also will require advanced preparation with the airlines (if you are flying) and your oxygen provider to get this set up at the destination.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Karen L Wood, MD Karen L Wood, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine