Myasthenia Gravis

Follow up Question (my 1 yr and 8 mos has MG

06/10/2010

Question:

I am living here in the Philippines with my son. He had been tested with neostigmine and reacted with the drug, his droopy eyelids somehow open a little bit after a few minutes of application. He had also been thru EMG and been found with some muscle disorder...

Are these findings enough to say that he has MG not CMS(Congenital Myasthenic Syndrome). I have no enough money to let him in a very good hospital in out Country..Pls help me

Answer:

Dear Mme., Unfortunately, I must say that your son's diagnosis is still uncertain as far as I'm concerned. Diagnosing neuromuscular problems in young children can be very difficult under the best of circumstances. It is impossible to do over the internet.

From your description, he could have a congenital myasthenic syndrome or he could have a wide range of other neuromuscular diseases. I checked the Internet to see if there was someone who could be helpful in the Philippines.

Dr. Raymond Rosales who is at UST Hospital (room 3001, Medical Arts Building, EspaƱa, city of Manila) looks to be an individual in your country who could be of great help. I do not know him personally but his background seems to be exceptionally strong. On the Internet, they list a phone number of 712-6348 and 732-7156. (I hope those telephone numbers make sense.) I hope this is of some help. Best of luck with your son.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology