Breast Cancer

Gynecomastia

07/01/2010

Question:

Dear specialist

I am 35 years old . I was found to have gynecomastia by my family doctor. USG breast told to be gynecomastia. USG test was normal, blood test eg liver renal blood test was normal. I was not on medication and I am non drinker. I have good family hx . I have good past health. I have recalled that I have mild breast bulging since I am teenager. Then the diagnosis is idiopathic gynecomastia according to my family physician.

Is there any risk of breast cancer for gynecomastia? How can I follow my problem?

Thank you for your expert advice.

Answer:

Gynecomastia does not cause breast cancer.  Instead, it just needs to be evaluated to make sure that it is not a breast cancer and that underlying causes, particularly other cancers that can cause gynecomastia, are excluded.  There are a number of causes for the condition, and I am including a link that lists some.  In addition to the things that you mentioned, there are several other things that can cause the condition.  Marijuana and other non-perscription drug use can be associated wtih gynecomastia.  Testicular tumors, which can produce hormones, must be ruled out, so you should make sure that you do not have a mass in your scrotum.  If the swelling does not increase over time, it is unlikely to be a cancer, since cancers grow over time.

Web MD: Gynecomastia

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Doreen M Agnese, MD Doreen M Agnese, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery