Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Ear Pain Followed by One-Sided Congestion

06/07/2010

Question:

About three months ago, I woke up one morning with my left ear feeling completely plugged up. This was not preceded by a cold or anything else and I`ve never had trouble with allergies. Over the following couple weeks, the feeling of fullness improved significantly, but was replaced by ear pain and pressure and I began to feel some unsteadiness (like walking on a boat, not vertigo). These symptoms have continued with fluctuating severity ever since and I consistently get popping and clicking in my ears when I swallow (much louder in the left ear).

Since this began, my ears and nose usually feel congested when I wake in the morning but, until recently, I wasn`t experiencing any congestion during the day. Over the last month, however, I have been experiencing increasing congestion in my left nostril, even though I can`t blow any excess mucus out of it (what mucus I do have is usually completely clear). If I breathe heavily through my nose, I can feel pressure in my left ear and left side of face (sinus?). Before this last set of symptoms appeared, I had gone to a primary care physician who couldn`t find any sign of infection and said it was "eustachian tube dysfunction or serous otitis media" and should go away within six months.

Do the new symptoms suggest anything?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org