My 5-Yr Old Breathing Was Funny/Swelling

06/07/2010

Question:

Hello! My 5yr old was breathing as though she was on a ventilator after leaving the dentist. She didn`t` want to wake up and now left side of lip is still swollen after getting a cap, fill in and space holder and it`s the morning after. Is this normal?

Answer:

Thank you for your question but I am not sure what to make of it. As an anesthesiologist, I use the ventilator all the time, but I am not sure what you mean when you say, "as though on a ventilator". Do you mean deep and slow? Was sedation used?

As far as swelling of the lip, this is most likely due to "playing" with her lip while numb, with the teeth usually, and traumatizing the lip. Sometimes, there can be severe trauma. It sounds as if you may want to have the dentist look at the swelling to make sure there is no other problem, such as infection.