Dental and Oral Health Center

Oral Cancer or Just Normal?

06/09/2010

Question:

I have these tiny i think yellow canker sores or cold sores iin the center of my lower teeth. I tried putting this medicine on them and it doesnt work. the problem is the saliva being in the way and i end up spitting it out. the medicine i tried is called mouthaid. it is supposed to prevent cold sores and canker sores. I felt them with my finger and they feel like they are still lumpy. what should i do?

second of all, i notice a small i think hard bump inside my mouth on the right side of my upper and lower teeth in the center. could that mean too much stress, biting my cheek, or a sign of oral cancer?

finally, i notice two small dots in the center of this thing that connects my tongue. are they supposed to be there? are they called palliaries or whatever the name of it is? Im just concerned about these problems.

Answer:

Regarding the canker/cold sores, I am not certain what you are describing here, but they could represent normal tissues sometimes notable in the floor of the mouth. I suggest you ask your dentist at your next visit just to be sure.

The hard bump is most likely a benign growth called a fibroma (fibrous nodule) that likely arises in most instances from trauma such as cheek biting.

The two small bumps probably represent the endings of the submandibular glands as they open into the mouth as a passageway for saliva. They are also known as Wharton's ducts. These are normal, not problems, but as with your first question, you can check with your dentist just to be sure.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology