Spine and Back Health

Leg Hyper-Reflexes

06/21/2010

Question:

I broke my back several years ago and had a L-5 S-1 disckectomy, fusion, rods and screws, since then my leg reflexes are extreme when checked. 2 years ago I noticed some changes that I think are related. My bursae in both hip areas are extemely tender to lay on. I have had several injections and even had one removed. All theses things were short term and now the pain is back full force. I also noticed at night when I`m trying to go to sleep, from my waist down it feels like my legs are still wound up. I end up tossing and turning to try and relax them. It is very tiring. Am I crazy? If I lay one my right side my left thigh starts tingling and hurting. I can only lay on my right side for a short time as well. if I lay on my back my left thigh will go to sleep. HELP

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your condition, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery