Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Over Retained Primary Teeth

06/21/2010

Question:

My 15 year son has front upper teeth over retained primary teeth. It has a mass or cist behind primary teeth which is blocking the way of permanent teeth. What to do. If only excursion of primary teeth and the cist is enough and the permanent teeth will come naturally at its place or it is to be pulled by wire. If we remove the primary teeth and the cist and leave it, will it harmful in future. I am so confused to take my decision regarding the operation because these procedures will affect my son`s studies

Answer:

It sounds like extra (supernumerary) teeth or a cyst have prevented the eruption of your son's permanent front teeth (incisors).

The treatment is to remove the extra teeth or cyst and expose the permanent incisors.

At the age of 15 it is unlikely that they will now erupt on their own so orthodontic positioning is probably necessary. A pediatric dentist can advise you on the best treatment plan and I recommend that you see one soon.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry