Dental and Oral Health Center

I Have Multiple Broken Teeth

06/15/2010

Question:

Hi, i was in a motorcycle accident- hit a curb face 1st- la forte II fracture +. my teeth are breaking and falling out, many in pieces at gum. i have been extremely embarassed and felt very humiliated my last few dental visits because of remarks the dentist or assistant had made ("your mouth is a mess, aren`t you embarassed?; my gosh, why have you let your teeth get in this shape?). also, on 3 occasions after an extraction i was hurting during removal, and bone slivers were present and painful. i haven`t been in 2 years. i only had a few missing/ broken teeth then. now i have 6 broken teeth, 3 to the gum. i am often in alot of pain and want all of my teeth removed so i can wear dentures. #1 i am afraid.; #2 i have "buds" behind my front bottom teeth. i was told they have to be shaved in order for dentures to fit. #3 it seems like dentures cause protrusion of the upper lip. how can i find a dentist to work with me for extractions and dentures that will work through my pain and fears with me? thank you so much for your time.

Answer:

I believe that there should be a list of prosthodontists on the American College of Prosthodontists website. Please visit http://www.prosthodontics.org/patients/find.asp.

Best wishes.

How Do You Go About Finding the Right Dentist?

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry