Children's Health

My Baby Boy Drinks Milk Only While Sleeping!!

06/23/2010

Question:

Hi :) how are u :)

I have a problem with my child, which makes me so depressed :( He is a baby boy.His age is 7 months and half,and his weight is 10 kgs.I give him Industrial Milk. The problem is that he doesn`t like to drink the milk , when he is awake, at all. Jusat when I put the nipple of the bottle in his mouth and he tastes the milk, he removes it immediately! BUT while sleeping, he drinks the milk, just 100 ml. this problem has been starting just 1 month ago, and before that, he was drinking easly and more quantity than now! He doesn`t have any problem with eating.I don`t think that he feels painful while drinking because he does not cry at all, just don`t put the nipple in my mouth! By the way, he also doesn`t like to drink juices.So, i usually mash the fruits and feed him.

I hope that I get a sufficial answer because i am getting so tired from this habit of my baby. Thank you so much .

Answer:

Initially, your question threw me off as I was not familiar with the term "industrial milk". From what I can find, it is a term used in the grading of milk products in the dairy industry. With rare exception, cow's milk is not recommended for infants under 1 year of age. Is there ANY way that you can get powdered infant formula for your child? This would be my first suggestion.

At 7 months of age he should be taking in about three to four- 8 ounce bottles per day, plus rice cereal and pureed fruits and vegetables. At his age, 10 kg is a very reasonable weight. I would direct you to your health care provider with any additional concerns.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing