Sports Medicine

Foot Surgery Contemplated

06/28/2010

Question:

I have a congenital cavovarus/equinovarus left foot due to a birth injury. I am 55 and female and in the past several years my foot has been gradually deteriorating, to the point that now I can no longer walk barefoot without enormous discomfort and significant limp and I must wear shoes built up with a lateral post to be able to walk normally.

The orthopedic surgeon wants to do a tibial tendon transfer, an osteotomy and either Achilles tendon or gastroc muscle lengthening. Everything I have read about this procedure suggests incredible postoperative pain and a high risk for tendon spasm and lasting stiffness in the foot. If I don`t have some type of surgery, my foot will continue to deteriorate. I have tried PT. I am in good health but 25 pounds overweight, some of which I plan to lose before my tentatively scheduled surgery. I am so torn---mostly about what the recovery will be like. Any thoughts?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Unfortunately, your question is beyond the scope of this service as NetWellness experts provide general information about health and wellness. Please accept our best wishes for a positive resolution to your problem.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org