Lung diseases

Lung Function 28%

06/24/2010

Question:

My mum is 60 years old (she looks 70) and has had numerous bouts of pneumonia requiring hospitalization - she has been trying to quit smoking and manages a week or two but then gets stressed and starts again - she has smoked anything from zero to 30 a day for the past 45 years. She is underweight and had scarlet fever as a child that did something to her heart but the doctor said that he wasn`t worried about that right now. About 2 months ago her wrist completely stopped working and she now only has the use of 1 hand - not sure if this is related or not - He hasn`t given her a specific diagnosis for her lung problems but she takes asthma meds, steroids and antibiotics (and other meds) daily. Her latest x-ray showed no improvement in her lungs (she is having physio and taking water tablets to try and get rid of the fluid) the bottom 3rd is very scarred - her latest tests said she had a 28% lung function...

What I really need to know is what could be actually wrong with her and how long do you think she will live?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. You seem to have a very specific question about your mother's health that could only be answered by a health professional with knowledge of her specific case. A pulmonologist may be able to provide more details for you. It sounds like she has very severe COPD along with other health issues, and I hope you will find some additional general information about that diagnosis and life expectancy at the link below. 

Please accept our best wishes.   

Emphysema: Stages and Life Expectancy

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep