Sarcoidosis

Sarcoidosis Symptoms

06/24/2010

Question:

I feel like i live with symptoms of Sarcoid daily and all my test results come back negative. I was diagnosed 13years ago with pulminary sarcoid along with noduals on my legs and pain in my feet. I have shortness of breath, fatigue, pain in my legs and back, light sensitivity, etc. could this all be relaited to sarcoid?

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam- Let me start by saying fatigue, shortness of breath and body aches, as you describe, may be unrelated to sarcoidosis, and should be evaluated by your doctor.

If no other cause is found, and there are signs of active sarcoidosis (e.g., enlarged lymph nodes), you and your doctor should consider the following: It is not unusual for sarcoidosis to cause fatigue, body aches, and a general feeling of ill health, even in the absence of objective signs of significant organ impairment. The explanation for this is unclear, but could relate to certain pro-inflammatory molecules that are produced at the sites of active inflammation, such as lymph nodes. In some cases, the drugs we typically use to suppress inflammation (e.g., hydroxychloroquine, corticosteroids, methotrexate, etc.) improve the fatigue symptoms. If not, it is reasonable to try drugs that stimulate the central nervous system (e.g., dexmethylphenidate, a drug used for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children).

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine