Sports Medicine

Bent Pins and Non Unions

07/07/2010

Question:

Hello, I am 9 days after surgery to correct four broken metatarsals. The second metatarsal was plated, the third, fourth and fifth metatarsals were pinned. My surgeon was very happy with the results of surgery saying things lined up nicely. I have been and am non weight bearing (only heel can take some weight). My surgeon said I can begin flexing my ankle and two toes that weren`t pinned. My question is, is it possible to flex my foot too much and bend the pins and/or damage or undo the correction the surgery made. Thank you

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org