Women's Health

Chronic Yeast Infection

06/28/2010

Question:

I have had a vaginal yeast infection for over 18 months. My gynecologist has prescribed 6 courses of vaginal creams and Diflucan 150mg.x 1 day, on two separate ocassions. She obtained cultures twice for yeast, STD`s... The results of all the cultures were negative. The results were normal body flora. I was referred to an infection control doctor. The infectious disease physician had ordered labs for everything he could think of. Thankfully, I now know I do not have diabetes or AIDS. My remaining labs were all W.N.L. He suggested I have another vaginal culture which returned another negative result. He ordered Diflucan 100mg.QD x three weeks. He then followed with QOD for three months. I have not been having intercourse.

By the way, the infection does not cause any itching or discomfort. The discharge is mostly white and cottage cheese-like. There is some off white string like discharge as well. Very little secretions are excreted.They usually remain within the vagina. Recently, I have been treated for bacterial infections related to the off white/yellowish discharge. I am starting an anti-fungal diet tomorrow, no fun. I am sure this is all way too explicit of an explanation. I do not know what to do at this point. Can you offer any advice?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Yeast infection that won`t go away?
Chronic yeast

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org