Eye and Vision Care

2nd Subconjunctival Hemorrhage in 1 Month

06/29/2010

Question:

I am a 30 y/o breastfeeding mom with no medical problems. My blood pressure runs low normal and I am of normal weight. I have had 2 subconjunctival hemorrhages that look identical, in the same place, in the same eye, 1 month apart. The first one disappeared completely within a week and stayed gone for about 3 weeks. This morning I noticed the other one. It looks like it just reappeared. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

Yes, two subconjunctival hemorrhages within a month is very unusual, especially for a young healthy 30 year-old patient.

Assuming your eye doctor found no other vision or medical problems at your last eye exam, I'd recommend some blood testing that includes clotting indices like PT (prothrombin time) and PTT (partial thromboplastin time). Your family physician can order these lab tests for you.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry