Urinary Disorders

Leukocyte Esterase, WBC and Bacteria in Urine

06/29/2010

Question:

I am a 71 year old female. My fasting blood test was very good this week except for the 1+ Leukocyte Esterase, 10-20 Range WBC and Moderate Bacteria. My doctor says that it is not in high enough amounts to be concerned. However, I would like another opinion. I had a urinary tract infection about three weeks ago and took ten (10) Ciprofloxacin 500 mg. All symptoms cleared, but my doctor never says to come back in to have my urine tested to be sure all infection is gone. I am otherwise very healthy, work out four or five days every week. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Answer:

Your urine may grow out bacteria if cultured. It may be reasonable not to treat even if the culture is positive if you are asymptomatic. I would suggest discussung repeating a culture with your doctor in view of your recent infection and your concerns.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology