Women's Health

How Often Should You Have A D & C?

07/06/2010

Question:

I had a DNC last year August 2009. It helped for a few months, but now I am bleeding heavy again (June 2010). Been bleeding for a month. Is it too soon to have another DNC? I have no fibroids just an irregular menstruation.

Answer:

D&C, or dilation and curettage, is a procedure in which a physician widens the entrance to the uterus wide enough to allow a small scraping tool, which she then uses to scrape (or curette) the lining of the uterus. This procedure can be done for either diagnostic purposes (for example to get tissue that rules out a cancer or abnormal growth) or therapeutic purposes. (for example to remove a growth or slow down excessive bleeding).

When a D&C is done for excessive bleeding, the bleeding improves temporarily, but it does not solve the underlying problem. Excessive bleeding can be due to a hormonal disturbance, infection, an abnormal growth (like fibroids or polyps), or excessive glandular tissue (e.g. adenomyosis). Long-term therapy should be directed towards the underlying problem.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology