Children's Health

Red Splotches On The Skin

07/07/2010

Question:

My 3 year old daughter developed a red splotch on her knee about 8 months ago. It looks a bit like a rug-burn, except the skin isn`t broken. It`s more red around the edge, is about nickle sized, and looks like it`s made up of little spots, maybe like broken blood vessels, but not as red. Recently, within the last month, more of these splotches have appeared on her back, legs, and stomach. They`re irregularly shaped, sized between a quarter and 1/8th inch in diameter. They don`t grow, change shape or move around. Some of them are very slightly raised around the edge where they seem redder, and the raised part feels like goose-bumps, only not as pronounced. She never itches them, seems completely unbothered by them, and claims that they don`t itch or hurt at all. I`m starting to get worried because there are 6 or 8 of these on her now. We bathe her every day, she eats a balanced diet with a fair amount of meat and greens and very little processed food, is outside running around every day... In short, she seems the picture of health except for these spots.

Answer:

It is always difficult to comment upon a skin condition, despite your excellent description. I would definitely recommend that your daughter be seen by your pediatric health care provider for a thorough examination of her skin. While this is not an emergency visit, I would recommend an appointment within the next several days.  

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing