Sports Medicine

Pain on Leg

07/21/2010

Question:

I am 29 year old mother. I have been experiencing severe pain on my knee and above (thighs) if a I stand or walk for a long time. The pain is so bad. My family has a history of Osteoporosis and arthritis too. My mom, grandmother, aunt every body has been diagonosed with one or the other. I have been very careful with my diet. Have 3 cups of milk everyday and my weight is also under control. I dont excersise that often because of time constraints. Could my pain be early stages of osteoporosis/ arthritis? Or is it too early to get them? I dont have the pain everyday only when I walk for more than an hour or stand and work for sometime that`s when the pain starts coming. Pls advice on what I should be doing.

Answer:

Your pain could be early osteoarthritis, but it also could be from something else. Most likely not from osteoporosis. You should see your physician to get evaluated for this. You may need xrays or other testing.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Kendra L McCamey, MD Kendra L McCamey, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine