COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Diet, How Important, and What Foods to Avoid?

07/07/2010

Question:

I often have what I call "High Angst" after eating some foods. So I try to avoid them. Sugar seems to be bad, milk also. However I have no problem with yogurt? Is there a special diet for people with Emphysema? Rhine, or any white wine, seems to act as an instant rescue agent. When I get out of breath, I can take a sip and get relief, I would rather not have to depend on it. Is there something I can use as a rescue agent?

Answer:

There is not necessarily a set diet for emphysema. It is important to maintain a well-balanced diet however. It is certainly reasonable to avoid foods that cause problems. The improvement in shortness of breath after drinking wine, suggests an anxiety component to your symptoms. Pulmonary rehabilitation may be beneficial.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine