Athletic Training

How Do I Fix This and Prevent Further Injury?

07/08/2010

Question:

I was at the gym jumping rope and came down on my left ankle. I had a sharp pain go up my foot into my ankle. It lasted for about 10 seconds and then went away, so I finished my class. The next week I went to Disneyland and walked on it a lot. I have pain anterior to my ankle that goes around to just below my lateral malleolus and that shoots down the outside of the bottom of my foo. The more I walk on it, the worse it feels. It feels a little bit weak in the morning but as the day goes on it gets to the point where I`m limping. I don`t know what to do and nothing seems to be helping. I`d really like to get back into my gym routine as quickly as possible and do it pain free. Should I continue taking care of it at home, or go see a physician? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Answer:

Given the amount of time that this has been bothering you, it is probably time for your to see your physician.  You may need some further studies (x-ray, etc.) to determine the root of your problem.  Before you increase your physical activity, it is important that you are able to rule out a serious condition, such as a fracture. 

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Robert W Sweeney, MS, ATC Robert W Sweeney, MS, ATC
Athletic Trainer
Clnical Instructor
The School of Allied Medical Proffesions