Mouth Diseases

Tongue

07/26/2010

Question:

I have a question the sides of my toungue looks like it is peeled and it hurts and when i drink coke or anything with acid i think like pineapple it hurts the side of my tounge also i dont know how i have them cuse they dont go away.

Answer:

There are multiple possible causes of lateral tongue ulceration/lesions. The “painful response to “coke” or acidic foods (including pineapple) may be in response to the protective coating on the tongue being removed, I would suspect that salt, alcohol, or hot sauce would also burn and irritate the area. Without examining your tongue I can only speculate what may be the cause, thus I would strongly recommend that you have this evaluated while it is occurring in order to get a better idea on how to treat it. Much is dependent upon how long the lesion has been present, what precipitates it to form and does it go away and return with some frequency.

My first concern with floor of mouth or lateral border of tongue lesions is that of oral squamous cell carcinomas. Again, this is the major reason to have it evaluated by your primary care physician or dentist. That would be the worst case scenario, there is a long list of other possibilities ranging from trauma (rough edges on restorations or broken posterior teeth, to facial habits of tongue biting and or sucking on your tongue.

Viral infections such as Herpes simplex and EBV (Oral Hairy Leuloplakia) may present as lateral border lesions the later is seen in HIV patients and not as symptomatic as HSV lesion can be.

Other possible causes include aphthous ulceration of the tongue, lichen planus , allergic reactions (contact stomatitis), chemical and or thermal injury (aspirin burn, pizza burn) and the list goes on; all of these problems can occur on the lateral border and be quite painful and may require interventional palliative care to decrease the symptoms.

I thus strongly suggest you have this evaluated to rule out any major pathology, and be able to enjoy tomatoes in August!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine