Eye and Vision Care

Second Opinion Needed on Eye Problems with PC

07/14/2010

Question:

Hi,

I am currently studying to become a pilot. I went for an exam with an opthalmologist who said that my eyes were in good condition and I have 20/20 vision. However, recently at work I have been getting eye strain being at the computer all day, one eye a little more than the other.

I went to an optometrist and they said that I am slightly long sighted in both eyes, which they determined to be the problem. They suggested a weak prescription pair of reading glasses to be worn at the computer when I am working.

Work has offered to reimburse me for a pair of reading glasses, but a friend of mine who works in health care discouraged me to and said once you start using reading glasses your eyes can start declining.

I am hoping to get an expert opinion on this because my eyes are very important to my career as a pilot, so I want to make the best decisions and not cause any damage that may put my license in jeapoardy.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Answer:

Eyestrain with computer use is common. It is likely that the prescription will provide some relief. It is possible that you are a little far sighted, and wearing the prescription is unlikely to affect your distance vision and thus your eligibility for a pilot’s license.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Mark  Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD Mark Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD
College of Optometry