Women's Health

Orange Period Blood

07/15/2010

Question:

Hello I always have a normal 4 day period since I could remember. Last week I had unprotected sex then 24hrs later used the next choice pill but did not take the 2nd pill 12hrs later as instructed I took it 21hrs later because I forgot. A few days after that had very,very light spotting then 3days after that, yesterday, got my period. But it is bright red almost orange. I have never seen this before and ever since having unprotected sex have had the "nervous butterflies in the stomach" feeling but I`m not nervous, some nausea, but that`s all. So I am not sure what is going on and I hope that you can help me. Thank you.

Answer:

The emergency contraceptive pills can sometimes disrupt your normal menstrual bleeding. However, it is important to exclude that you could be pregnant. (Emerency contraception prevents pregnancy about 75% of the time.) A pregnancy test can be positive as soon as 10 days after conception, but might not show up until three weeks afterward. You should perform a pregnancy test.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology