Women's Health

Bleeding After Pap Test

10/05/2010

Question:

I had my first pap test in 2007 and was normal but the Dr said i had yeast infection. I had very light bleeding for a couple of hours. I finally got around to my second pap test earlier this week (2010) and was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis. I am a virgin and have never been sexually active. The nurse practitioner that performed my pap test said my hymen was not fully broken the first time and is probably fully broken now. I had some light bleeding but it has continued 2 days later. I don`t seen any blood in my underwear but whenever i clean up after peeing i always see blood and sometimes its a lot. I was prescribed the Metronidazole gel that i have been using for the past 2 nights. I was wondering if bleeding 2 days later is common or ok and if not could it be because of the BV? After how many days is it too serious that i have to contact my doctor? Thanks

Answer:

I am not sure why there's continuous bleeding after a pap test. I would suggest following up with your doctor to just have somebody recheck and make sure everything is acceptable. Bacterial vaginosis does not commonly cause bleeding vaginally especially if you are not sexually active. I hope this helps.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Riza T Conroy, MD Riza T Conroy, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine