Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Genetic Protein S Deficiency

07/21/2010

Question:

I HAVE HAD PROTIEN S ALL MY LIFE BUT I HAVE THREE CHILDREN WHO I HAVE GAVE IT TO. 2 GIRLS 41,AND 25, 1 SON 31 WHO HAS GIVEN IT HIS 10 YR.OLD SON. wHY IS MY SON`S PROTIEN S MORE AGRESSIVE THEN THE REST OF US. MY 10 YEAR OLD GRANDSON IS HAVING SOME VERY SERIOUS PROBLEMS AND ALOT OF M.D`S ARENT TOO SURE BE CAUSE OF THIS CLOTTING PROBLEM.tHEY WANT TO KNOW WHY ITS SO AGRESSIVE IN MY GRANDSONS FATHER AND I AM NOT SURE.

Answer:

In terms of the risk for and the development of venous blood clots, the protein S is just one factor that can increase the risk for the development of blood clots. There are many additional factors; both inherited and acquired that can increase the risk and that have to be considered in addition to the Protein S levels. For these reasons, the same protein S level may cause differing problems in different people even within the same family. 

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine