Eye and Vision Care

Artificial Tear and Contact Lenses

08/02/2010

Question:

Hi there,

I wear contact lenses and I wonder if the product called Tear Natural (which contains hydroxy propyl methyl cellulose)can be used for dry eye when the contact lenses are in place in the eyes. I usually use the products from the manufacturer of the contact lenses but I just wonder if Tear Natural is compatible with soft or hard contact lenses because it sounds to me that Tear Natural is like natural tear the eyes themselves produce so it should be ok with any kind of contact lenses.

Answer:

Tear Naturale products are unfortunately not FDA-approved to be used during contact lens wear. If the Tear Naturale product has successfully provided you relief from dry eye symptoms, I recommend instilling a drop into each eye at least 15 minutes before and after contact lens wear. 

There are rewetting drops available on the markets that are approved for use along with contact lens wear. Please contact your eye care provider for specific names of the products he or she recommends.

Thank you for visiting NetWellness!

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry