Digestive Disorders

Severe liver pain, how to lose weight

I have NASH caused by taking methotrexate orally for psoriasis. It is at stage 2 now and my liver is twice its` normal size. I have had severe, gnawing pain from the enlarged liver for 4 years. Pain management clinics have not helped, so I take pain pills. I have also now developed insulin resistance (I take Actos for it) and a blood clot in the hepatic vein from a liver hemorrhage in March. The doctors want me to lose weight. I have been on a fat free diet for 4 years, and for the past 6 months, I am also eating a sugar free diet. But my weight stays the same. I can`t exercise because of the pain, nausea, and the oppressive fatigue I have. How do I lose weight in my situation? My BMI is 28 right now. Help!

There are many steps that can be taken to help your situation, but one simple response on NetWellness would not be appropriate. You need to actually have a full nutrition consult, truthfully.

Most likely the 'fat free and sugar free' mean you're really not helping the situation, actually. A comprehensive review of all food intake, meds, etc is warranted.

If you do not want to see an RD, then you may want to consult with a hepatic specialist.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Hope   Barkoukis, PhD, RD, LD Hope Barkoukis, PhD, RD, LD