Thyroid Diseases

RAI Treatment for Graves

08/31/2010

Question:

I was diagnosed with graves about a year ago and this past February had RAI treatment done. I have been feeling very depressed. My last blood work showed my TSH levels at 41.33 so my Dr. upped my levothyroxin to 100mcg. This was 4 weeks ago. I am still very depressed, so my question is should I see if he will up my meds again or put me on an antidepressant?

Answer:

Your thyroid levels are low, which cause can fatigue and feelings like depression. When the dose of thyroid hormone is changed it takes 4-6 weeks for the medicine to reach a steady level in your blood, so it might be a little early for you to be feeling better. I would suggest that you get your thyroid levels checked every 4-6 weeks until the TSH is normal, and then give it a month or two before deciding that you need an antidepressant. If your depressive feelings are severe and you need an antidepressant before that, you should know that low thyroid levels will make you more sensitive to many drugs and your doctor will probably want to start with a small dose.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE