Spine and Back Health

Does Disc Disease Normally Affect Whole Spine

07/29/2010

Question:

Does degenerartive disc disease usually affect the whole spine, or just a few discs? My MRI showed every disc in my cervical, thorcic and lumbar spine, all getting black. Some disce were more black than others. It also showed multi level hemangeomas and vacumme phenomenon. My spine is very stiff and sore. What would cause whole spine degeneration, in a woman age 55? Thank you so much.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your MRI, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Black Disc Disease

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic, where you can:

David J Hart, MD David J Hart, MD
Associate Professor of Neurosurgery