Gum Diseases

Persistent Numbness after Gum Grafting

08/02/2010

Question:

I had a gingival graft done 9 days ago. My follow-up appointment isn`t until 3 weeks post-op. I have no pain -- which is of some concern to me. First of all, parts of my mouth/face feel almost "asleep" - could this be due to using too much Orajel on the stent I`ve been wearing? Also, could it be an indication that the graft isn`t taking? Another issue is that my periodontist didn`t give me a list of "what not to do", and I used a straw (gently, and minimally) the day of the procedure. The next day, a friend who had grafts told me not to use a straw, so I haven`t since. How concerned should I be about the effect of the straw on the graft?

Answer:

Numbness is an important issue. I do not know if this is very localized and very limited (like tingling effect) or really numbness. In any case, you should inform your periodontist.

You should not use any oral hygiene tools on the graft site for the first 10 days or so. We generally give chlorhexidine mouth rinse for post-op care since we ask the patient not to brush the area.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology