Eye and Vision Care

Eye

07/29/2010

Question:

I have a bump on my outer eye lid and a couple of small one on my eye lid and it almost looks like a pimple. Last year I went to the Doctors and they told me I had staff infection; why does this bump keep comming back? Last time my whole eye swolled up and people thought someone had punched me in the eye. Can you please help me?

Answer:

You probably have oily eyelids that occasionally cause blockage of the tiny openings of the sweat and oil glands in the skin around your eyes. When glands get blocked, they can become infected.

See your eye doctor for antibiotic therapy. Then, when the infection has cleared, keep your eyelids clean by using warm and moist handcloths to wipe them every night before bed. Adding one drop of a baby shampoo (so if it gets into your eyes, it will not burn) will also help keep your eyelids clean and your glands open.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry