Mouth Diseases

Blood Blister of the Tongue

08/02/2010

Question:

What causes a blood blister the size of a grape to form on the tongue. Five days ago while eating it appeared and kept growing till it was about the size of a grape. It was there for about ten hours then suddenly dissappeared. Then 5 days later reappeared for a minute and dissappeared. It burns really bad when this happens. It is on the bottom of my tongue. And is still very, very sore. I have had them in the past, but not this large. And they usually don`t come back that soon. Thank you

Answer:

What you are describing, especially the tendency for the blister to seemingly resolve, then recur, sounds most consistent with mucocele. This is a collection of saliva or spit under the skin. (oral mucosa) This is due to a disruption or leak from the small ducts or pipes that usually bring the saliva into the mouth. A little bleeding into this spill is not unusual and makes the mucus spill look like a blood blister as you described. Additional information about mucocele will be linked to this reply.

A mucocele like the one you are describing can be a persistent problem and may require minor surgery. If the problem persists, you should see you dentist or an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for treatment.

Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology
Associate Dean of Dentistry Administration