Urinary Disorders

Is This Serious?

08/04/2010

Question:

I have had a history of bladder infections/utis since I was a young child. When I was pregnant I had kidney blockage/stones that caused my right kidney to fail and I had to have a stent put in for 10 days. It has been a year and half since then and recently after I urinate I am feeling pain that feels like it is in my urinary tract/kidney on both sides. Its like a sharp pain that turns into a dull ache and goes away after a few minutes. I can`t "hold it" for very long at all, it`s like as soon as I feel like I have to go I feel like I`ve already been holding it for a couple hours, but it`s not the same urgency you feel with a bladder infection. This pain does happen every time I go to the bathroom. What is the deal?

Answer:

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide you an insightful answer based upon the information that you provide. Urgency (and urge incontinence) has many potential causes which may be unrelated to your past medical, urologic, and/or your obstetric history. However, if you have lost a significant portion of your renal function, then your situation may be serious and I would recommend that you be seen by a urologist or nephrologist as soon as possible with the hope of aleviating symptoms and preserving renal function.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology