Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

What Can Cause Teeth to Crumble?

08/09/2010

Question:

I have never used street drugs, although I look like I have. I used to drink a lot of milk (1/2 gallon day). I am now 46 years old, and about a year ago, I got involved in a situation where 5 teeth were fractured. Those have been pulled. Now my other teeth crumbling at the rate of about one every month or two. I know I am going to have to get dentures, but I am concerned I may have a physiological systemic problem that is causing this?

Answer:

It is difficult to answer your question. You did not state whether or not that you have received regular dental care or if you have had many restorations placed in your teeth. If you have not had regular dental care, the most likely cause of the break down of your teeth is dental carries. If you have not received regular check ups, small amounts of dental decay can grow over time to destroy large amounts of tooth structure. If you have received regular dental check ups, you should contact your dentist and ask your dentist why these problems have developed.

It is possible that cusps can break off of restored teeth making it necessary to place a crown on the teeth. The chance of a systemic problem does not seem probable with the information that you provided.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry