Novacaine Had Three Injections

08/02/2010

Question:

My visit to the dentist office. I call for an appointment because I experience a unusal ache, at that point I was told the dentist had retired to a new location. I went in a to see this new dentist and ws given x-ray and told i needed filling and crown and schedule to return in a week. So I accepted the appt., after getting there i was told the new dentist was in an accident and therefore could not work on my teeth. I was told she would be back in a week. A new dentist had been assigned I started asking questions he moved here after 25 yrs of service somewhere else I ask why he left he says because patients weren`t being treated fairly always given more than what is necessary for treatment and he did no longer wanted to be a part, it became all about money. 

Treatment began I was given 3 injections and it did not numb me I could still feel everything, when moving my tongue any touch i was not numb so agian I was rescheduled. I recently recovering from phnemonia and on some real stronge antibotics. Could this be part of the problem or have any effect on me? I was taking advair and proventil for breathing also. Yes I was a bit reluctant about going through the procedure and this happen. I was given a new appointment he is suppose to add a new drug (forgot name) along with the novacaine on my next visit. The procedure is 2 filling and crown on the lower right. Is this normal? 

Answer:

Thank you for your question. Especially in the lower jaw, local anesthesia is not always effective. The anatomy varies considerably from one patient to another and some doctors use a slightly different technique that might not work well for you. It may be that at the next appointment, the first injection is perfect. If inadequate local anesthesia occurs again after one or two injections, sometimes having one of the other dentists use a slightly different technique will be fine. I hope that there are a couple dentists there that day. This happens to all dentists from time to time and is not predictive of the quality of the dental work. Your Advair and Proventil should not affect the local anesthetic. Hope this helps.