Children's Health

Is the White Puss Ever Going to Subside?

08/16/2010

Question:

Hi my son is now 6 months. He was circumcised at the hospital by my obgyn and he left a lot of skin. I thought that his penis healed okay at first but at about 2-3 months I noticed that he had little white pockets in the crevise when I pulled back the skin to clean him there. Well one day I decided to look at it myself because the doctor claimed she didnt see anything wrong with it. When I slightly pushed on the skin around the pocket, white thick puss came out and it looked as if I popped a blackhead. I immideately cleaned the area with hydrogen peroxide and repeated that procedure, but after a week or so the pockets returned and looked as if I didn`t even touch them to begin with. He`s not in any pain when I do this or afterwards. He`s 6 months now and I still periodically do it. Is this okay? Is this ever going to go away?

Answer:

It sounds as though your son has extra or redundant foreskin or possibly some extra fatty tissue around his scrotum and penis. It is common that this extra skin adheres to the base pf the penis head and it is debatable as to whether or not releasing it, if thin and film-like, has any benefit as it will release on it's own over time.

The head of the penis makes an oily substance known as smegma. This substance mixes with old or dead skin cells and forms the cheesy substance you notice when you pull back the adhesions. Unless there are signs of infection (redness, tenderness, or drainage) it is debatable if releasing the adhesions are needed.

If you feel you need more information, making an appointment with a pediatric urologist is always an option. References: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/circumcision.html 

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing